Sunday, May 21, 2017

Cartoon Sunday: Christopher Christensen's The Stone Wall

How's it going my gumdrops? Since so many of you enjoyed those Animated Horror Shorts that I shared 2 weeks ago from Axeman Cartoons, I have another creepy short to share with you all. 

In case you missed 10 Two Sentence Horror Stories for Cartoon Sunday, you can check it out right HERE.

Today we have Christopher Christensen's poem, "The Stone Wall." "The Stone Wall" was illustrated by YeahManTV, while Let's Read narrated this creepy piece.

If you have an appreciation for Textured Art with abstract spirals, Dr. Seuss, and Edgar Allan Poe, "The Stone Wall" may be right up your alley. I'll admit to being automatically biased, when it comes to abstract spirals in the animation.

The spirals remind me of some of the work I did in high school for Art Class. Also, I did something similar to this type of Textured Art, when the band, KoRn held their album cover contest before releasing their 4th album, Issues in 1999. 

It sucks that I didn't win the the album cover contest. Then again, Issues wasn't that great of a KoRn album. The first 3 will always be their best albums as well as their 5th album, Untouchables. Well, I digress.

As I watched "The Stone Wall," it reminded me of Dr. Seuss meets Edgar Allan Poe's "The Cask Of Amontillado" and "The Tell-Tale Heart." This is along with a SMIDGE of Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown."

If you never had the opportunities to read any of these short stories in high school or in college, you should read them now.

Listening to Christensen's "The Stone Wall" made me notice, that the protagonist in this creepy poem has a serious drinking problem. 

He drank an entire bottle of wine and is probably using some kind of a hallucinogenic drug.

If mixing hallucinogenic drugs with wine is NOT  the problem, the protagonist must be drunk from trying to drink away his guilty conscience about something. 

The Goat Man must represent his guilty conscience, possibly about his alcoholism, which he chooses to deny.

As far as the stone wall goes, it could POSSIBLY represent the protagonist's alcoholism which is acting as a barrier between issues he has and the fact that he chooses not to acknowledge them. Anything is possible at this rate with this poem.

"The Stone Wall" is the type of creepy poem, that really makes you think hard. The animation, illustration, and narraton for this poem, helped to add character to the protagonist, The Goat Man, and the overall story being told in the poem.

Some of you might be irritated by my psychoanalysis of Christopher Christensen's "The Stone Wall." I can't help paying attention to both the narration and illustrations for this poem. Both have this ability to make us really think.

Rather than explaining my perception of this creepy poem, I highly recommend watching "The Stone Wall" for yourself and judging with your own conclusions. 

Anyway, here is Christopher Christensen's "The Stone Wall" for today's Cartoon Sunday.

Christopher Christensen's "The Stone Wall" (2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment